Last week, I shared with you the inspirational story of my client Emma who started training with us earlier this year. Emma has achieved a huge amount of success in a short space of time – she has lost weight, inches & most impressively has gone from zero running fitness to running 10Km!
There are a few things that Emma has done that I believe are the key to her success…
- Emma asked me for help because she didn’t know how to achieve her goals on her own
- When I offered Emma help, she accepted and trusted my judgment
- She has taken a no-excuses-approach to what I’ve asked her to do
- She has put in lots of effort even when it has been hard
- And has done that EVERY SINGLE WEEK since she started
- She has accountability from me and via her Facebook blog – read it here
- She has remained positive even when things weren’t going her way
- And finally, she has set challenging goals and once those have been achieved she has set new goals
The most important (and probably the hardest!) one of those is #5… being CONSISTENT
Progress takes time and you shouldn’t necessarily expect immediate results. I like to work with clients for a minimum of 3 months so they learn to be CONSISTENT with me by their side for motivation & support.
It’s fairly easy to start taking action towards achieving a goal, but less so to keep taking that action week in week out – especially when you find it difficult or you’re busy. But Emma (and so many other of my clients) has proven that taking consistent action – for example, exercising 2-3 times per week every week for 3 months (rather than 5 times a week for one or two weeks at a time then missing a month and restarting after summer) is the ONLY way to achieve your goals.
And that’s why this week I want you to think about how CONSISTENT you are being with your efforts. Are you exercising & eating healthily EVERY day or only on days that suit you? Are you being positive and taking a no-excuses-approach EVERY day or only when it’s easy to do so? Are you thinking about your goals EVERY day or only when you’ve got nothing else to do?
I believe that if you are taking the correct action and being 100% consistent (even 80-90% consistent would be a start) with those actions you WILL achieve your goals. Give it some thought and see if you can improve for next week.
Note: This advice is suitable for beginner level upwards, but please consult your GP or physiotherapist if you are unsure about any potential contraindications.
onesixeight: fitness provides Personal Training in Loughborough and online for men & women who want to get fit, tone up & feel more confident. Use the contact page to get in touch 🙂